In message <8cc83ee338e6ff2-5d24-3...@webmail-d011.sysops.aol.com>, Vicki Bradford <twohappyb...@aol.com> writes
I, too, use continental bobbins exclusively and have not
had the shredding problem so that might be an explanation.

I'm wondering if there are several problems being discussed and the description meaning different things to different people!

To me, shredding means losing fibres by being worn away in a cutting/grating sort of fashion - such as you shred paper - this would happen relatively quickly.

Shedding, where small fibres from the thread are lost in use, is usually caused by friction - and is gradual - moulting.

In other words, in the first you end up with a pile of little bits, the second the thread is worn out gradually.

Neither describes the problem caused by threads unspinning - where you start with fibres about 1.5 inches long twisted together to form a thread - take the twist away and the fibres separate, and part company very easily - hence a "broken" thread.

Snapping is when you pull on a thread too hard, and cause the thread to break - not necessarily parting the individual fibres. This can be due to the thread being too weak for the tension put on it (due to a variety of causes) or heavy-handedness on the part of the lacemaker. The causes of the thread being weaker than it should be can include shedding fibres and shredding.

Over the years, the reasons why my threads have broken have been down to either too much tension for the thread, weakness in the thread probably due to dryness - both snapping - and unspinning. Occasionally stabbing the thread with a pin hasn't helped! I haven't had any of these caused by wear of the thread against the cloths.

Bobbins - I use either Midland or Honiton on either a domed or block pillow, and work palms down.
--
Jane Partridge