I attended a class one time where we were told we needed a horseshoe type tool.
 We had not been told in advance.  Some of the people made a quick purchase the
first evening of some 1/4 inch plastic tubing and some pipecleaners.    Cut
10-12 inches of tubing and 2-3 inches of pipecleaner.  Use the pipecleaner
inside the tube ends to hold them together.  Instantly....a closed circle that
can easily be opened to move or remove.  Lifts the threads up  a fair distance
so don't make the circle too small.

I didn't know of the tubing idea at that time.  My roommate had one of the
horseshoes so I traced it on the lid of a food container and cut out a
horseshoe shape.  I left the outside rim and just trimmed the inside to shape.
It wasn't fancy but it worked for it's purpose.

Don't know about shredding threads, but I didn't have the problem when I used
these tools.  The threads are lifted above the area of both the pinheads and
workcloth edges.  Any shredding would have to be from other causes.

I later got a horseshoe and the tubing circle.  I prefer the tubing which gives
a closed circle.

Alice in Oregon -- where I must do some house chores.  Spent the past two days
just making lace and ignoring the chores.