I agree with Jane.  To me shredding means the thread disintegrating due to
friction , snapping is a sudden breakage caused by too much tension, either
heavy handedness or a weak thread and feathering is the thread just pulling
apart, usually because it has become untwisted.

I don't usually have too much of a problem with any of these but the current
project has been a trial - mainly because I started it using a one ply weaving
linen!  Where the thread has held together it looks fine, but even with making
an effort to keep the threads twisted I had half a dozen feathering breaks in
about three inches of lace and I couldn't pull hard enough to tension the
spiders properly and so I gave up and started again using Moravia 40/2.
Problem solved.  I had a similar problem when I tried to use Shetland wool
singles yarn for BL.

I'm using  a novelty metallic thread for the gimps and outside passive pair.
It's a chained thread with added bits of glitter, a bit like metallic chenille.
 I have to tug it pretty hard to tension it but no problems other than the fact
that at the end of each session there are several tiny pieces of the glitter
fibre on the pillow caused by friction (shredding), but no breakages.

Brenda

> I'm wondering if there are several problems being discussed and the
> description meaning different things to different people!

Brenda in Allhallows
paternos...@appleshack.com
http://paternoster.orpheusweb.co.uk/