Hi Susan

Thank you for the information, Alex! Do you have recommendations for fabrics,
please, as something like satin would be too slick, so perhaps a fine
Egyptian
cotton, etc.?

Go by feel rather than name. The fabric needs to be smooth. I use the very
ordinary fine polyester cotton. Traditionally cotton is recommended, but again
find a fine fabric with a smooth finish, if you can get fine Egyptian cotton
in a dark colour it will be ideal. Personally I would not choose satin. I
think the shine would bother me, but there is no reason why not, and being
slick it may resolve the problem. However, you would have to find a fine one.
As with any cover cloth fabric the fold should not be bulky as this may be
suffucient to bring the fabric into closer contact with the threads and cause
them to wear.

I hope this answers everything, if not let me know and let me know how you get
on.

Happy lacemaking (without broken threads)

Alex