Hi Arachnids,

Of all the advice given about the wedding dress lace I think that Jane' is probably the most useful. The salient part of her message I have not trimmed ( I have trimmed first and last paragraphs) as I felt it could bear repeating.

Joepie, grandmother, step-grandmother and greatgrandmother and step-greatgrandmother in East Sussex, UK

-----Original Message----- From: Jane Partridge

........>To answer your original question, the thread you would use would depend
on the fabric the dress is made from, both in fibre and colour. You may
choose ivory for the lace now, she may choose oyster for the dress in
the future, the two may not suit each other.

Lace is in fashion for wedding dresses now, but in a year or so it may
not be, and fashion tends to go in 20 year cycles. There are lace items
that can be made - garters, flowers, jewellery, tiaras, horseshoes, etc
- that can be made once the couple have chosen their wedding colour
scheme and may be treasured more than lace on the dress itself.

The dress has to be your daughter's dream dress, not the dress that you
would wish her to have - we all want our little girls to look the
perfect princess, but if you concentrate on making that day, if it
happens, her day rather than everybody else's, and support her in her
choices without making them for her, she will have truly flown the nest
but will come back to you when she needs advice in the future.<.......

Jane Partridge