Hello everybody,

It would be lovely if children could have an afternoon to
get to know lacemaking.  Unfortunately in the UK and I wouldn't be
surprised in a lot of other countries, all adults working with or teaching
children need to be CBR checked.  This means the person in question has to be
checked if they have a criminal record.  As you can understand, this is a lot
of paperwork and extra cost for the school. So don't be to harsh on the
schools.
Also parents nowadays expect all adults, who work with children in
after school activities or clubs, to be CBR checked as well.
 Apart from that,
the school curriculum doesn't leave much room for the schools to do extra
bits. For example,my daughter will do her GCSE history next year, it will only
cover 1900 till today.  So no chance to get a question on the lace industry.
This sounds very pessimistic.  But when I look at the lace clubs I go to,
there is no reason for pessimism.  Every year I see new faces and they are not
all past their retirement age.

Joke Sinclair