Hello Spiders,

This is really making us all think, isn't it!

When I went into the schools in which I taught lace-making, as an after-school
activity, there was always a teacher present, so they didn't think that a CRB
was necessary, as the teacher was always on the spot.   (One of the teachers
even joined the class!)   However, one of my children's private classes folded
because a friend (!) of one of the mothers asked if she had checked that I was
CRB checked.   I wrote to my then MP who, after quite a long time, replied
that, as I was going into the childen's homes, where a parent or guardian was
always present, then I didn't need any additional checks - especially as I was
self-employed anyway.   This took so long to sort out, that I gave up on that
class - felt sorry for the children who had been enjoying it, but felt that, if
the mother was going to listen to too many of her pals, with all sorts of
criticism, I could do without all the hassle.   The other three children's
classes continued without
 any bother, so I felt quite happy with that.

However, I do agree that they take the CRB checks to laughable levels.  Surely
one check should be enough for any and alll activities, not separate ones for
Guides, Cubs, Brownies, schools, lace tutors and anything else they can make a
bit of maney on...

Carol in North Norfolk UK
'Deliver us, Lord, from every evil, and grant us peace in our day.'