> I'm not a Java fan, but I have a say about this:
>
> Java is one language, many platforms.

Java is one language (there had been efforts to make other compilers produce
Java bytecode, esp. C/C++ but Sun wasn't very happy about it in the past
[only in recent years they started being less arrogant and more flexible
with that]) and one platform specification (a VM / runtime), with various
implementations (Sun, IBM, MSJava in the past, etc.)

> .NET is many languages, one platform.

It's many languages (love it for that [very nice interoperation between
languages, it's language agnostic in practice]) and one platform (runtime)
specification. Mono (and the reference opensource CLR implementation from
MS) is a proof there can be other .NET platform spec implementations.

> If we consider that Free Pascal is also "one language, many platforms"
> and DOES NOT require a Virtual Machine, we are better served here.

Since FP makes native code, the platform for it is the OS, not some Runtime
or Virtual Machine, so indeed it's "many platforms"

----------------
George Birbilis ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Computer & Informatics Engineer
Microsoft MVP J# for 2004-2006
Borland "Spirit of Delphi"
++ QuickTime, Delphi, ActiveX, .NET components ++
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
++ Robotics ++
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup

  _____

Virus Database (VPS): 0644-0, 30/10/2006
Tested on: 31/10/2006 4:19:27 p?