> 1. Uniform database access was available through ODBC already.
> ODBC was and is an accepted standard. .NET data access is
> necessarily slower and more cumbersome.

If ODBC was good, then why did Borland give for years its own database
connectors? A reason DB people were using Delphi was for the Oracle etc.
connectors it had

There is no inherent reason why ODBC is bad. Borland could have based a
TDataset implementation on top of ODBC, and it whould have worked just
as well, without the need for the BDE.

Clients of mine weren't that happy with setting up connection sources etc.
for ODBC and messing up with the various drivers caused problems manytimes
that weren't easy to find out the cause

The BDE was as bad as ODBC, and on top of that had a huge install problem.
DBExpress was a much better architecture.
And what do you know ? .NET data access is based on that...

If you need speed in Delphi, you buy a set of TDataset descendents
which talk directly to your database. OOP at it's best.

agreed, I prefer having connectors (say for ADO.net) for OleDB, ODBC, JDBC
etc. db connectivity technologies against having to write against those
technologies and get tied to them. Afaid ADO.net still isn't abstracting
enough the various DBs, having you treat Oracle and SQL Server params a bit
differently (use @ at Oracle I think etc.), but feedback is pushing MS to
abstract them more the db layer in the future allowing one to choose to
write a db-agnostic app