On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:55:23AM +0200, George Birbilis wrote:
> >later.
> >But I don't see FPC improving anything in ASP.NET, or having aspirations
> >do so.
>
> FPC could be used as backend language for ASP.net apps (similar to how one
> can use Borland and Chrome compilers), since ASP.net is language agnostic
> technology too (similar to how you could use ActivePerl in ActiveScripting

Of course one could use a .NET dumbed down language for that. One could use
brainf*ck too probably.

But IMHO it would be easier to take then take C# or Component Pascal
compiler, and do the necessary substitutions on tokens, like changing {} to
begin..end and a bunch of operators.

Because

- the base advantage "pascal like syntax" is already fixed,
- backwards compat is out of the door in both ways anyway.
- it is way less work, and frees it from unnecessary native considerations,
language and lib. (native and managed ASP.NET ? Afaik IIS doesn't even run
unmanaged code unless via COM), and room for expansion that can't be done
natively.

IOW the point is there is no added value that way, just a possible presence
as benefit. And there are already zillions of useless .NET languages that
are dumbed down equivalents of their native (or native VM) ones.

> clients) but that isn't of much interest to Lazarus itself I guess (unless
> it allowed creation of such web apps in the future [provide webform
> designers etc.])

When it is done, .NET is already legacy or abandonned. I don't mean that
because I think .NET will go away soon, but because gigantic feature sets
can easily take a decade. That's why I wrote that message asking how much
agreement at all there was on a certain basic featureset. But while one
dreams of Mono and IDE, the other dreams of ASP.NET.

> I still wonder what Lazarus is most self-defined as though, is it more of
> an IDE or more of framework (set of GUI libraries [LCL?] etc.)

I wouldn't choose between those two. Simply both are major vectors in the
project. But I'm not a Lazarus devel.