On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Richard K. Miller wrote:

On a similar note, I have been thinking how nice it would be to have a tagging system like del.icio.us for rating website content -- from "true, accurate, uplifting" to "disingenuous, misleading, pornographic." And one might build a Firefox extension/toolbar that would check the rating before showing the website (if it's available) and not display sites below the user's desired threshold. If I happen to find a pornographic or obscene site, I can tag it and save everyone else the trouble of ever finding it.

Add to that a 'trust metric', such that you have a circle of close associates whose ratings you trust more than others. One man's art is another man's pornography. Make it flexible, allow each user to give a 1 to 10 score of how comfortable they feel with another user's ratings.

del.icio.us has a simple API[1]. It probably wouldn't be too difficult to create a service which wraps del.icio.us, allowing you to give weighted trust levels to each user. Chances are, someone has probably already built such a thing :-D

That's the beauty of the web these days, with APIs like there are available, the sky's the limit as to what can be created.

On a separate note, a Firefox extension could also filter obscene language from web pages.

Check out greasemonkey[2], you can do this without too much effort. Look at some of the sample scripts available for it and you'll get the idea.

-- Dan

[1] http://del.icio.us/doc/api
[2] http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/