On Thu, 20 Oct 2005, Dan Hanks wrote:

As an example, consider the church's digitization efforts for its microfilm. Imagine every image generated by this digitization had a unique id, and could be displayed/retrieved by a certain web service call, or simply by a unique url. Web service calls could also then be available which would provide metadata about this image, which document did it come from, when was it created, what geographical areas did it come from, what surnames are mentioned in the image, etc.

Sorry to respond to my own post, but my ideas are flowing. Some of you may be familiar with del.icio.us, a web-based bookmark manager. Users can post urls and associate any number of 'tags' with these urls. A tag is simply a single word associated with the url in question.

Imagine then a service like del.icio.us that tied into this hypothetical system the church could develop around its digitized microfilm images in which users could associate any number of tags with a particular image. Although the church through its extraction efforts will be indexing the actual text of each image, such a service (which wouldn't have to be developed or maintained by the church) could allow people to add useful metadata to each image. Essentialy a folksonomy[1] centered around the digitized images.

Taking this a step further, one could build a service around this hypothetical API such that users could create RDF "semantic-web"[2] data associated with each image, such as "John Doe was born in Sussex, England in 1815", which would then be machine-readable, and much in the same way proofs can be deduced in a relational database based on the basic information stored in relations. Imagine being able to query "show me all images for a John Doe born in Sussex, England within 5 years of 1815".

The same "semantic annotation" (via RDF) could be done for family tree information as well.

It's my firm belief that there are applications that will surface which we can't even imagine at this time that will be possible with open APIs such as
these.

Just some (more) thoughts.

-- Dan

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/

With that interface exposed I could tie it up with, say, google maps, so that I could browse a map and show pinpoints of any microfilm images that originated in a certain area.

What if family tree navigation (think Ancestral File) were opened up via API? I could tie it up with Google maps to show migration routes of my ancestors with each suceeding generation. I imagine somewhere there's a web service that offers timelines of historical events. I could tie this family tree navigation with that and get a nice timeline of events in my ancestors lives contrasted with world events.

Let's say I go on a crusade to snap photos of all the tombstones of my ancestors that I can find. I store these images on my server, and write an app that allows a visitors to browse my family trees that I've submitted to the church, and with each individual able to display the mages I've taken of their tombstone.

These ideas are only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, of what could be possible with open APIs exposing this data. I'm sure there are hundreds and thousands of tools that could be created to enhance genealogical research, if the data were exposed via some form of API. In this way, the church could develop their own basic interface around the service, and not have to spend development time implementing every last little obsucre feature in a desktop application. Let those who really want it write an app or extension to provide that feature.

At any rate, that's what I'm interested in. :-)

-- Dan