I'm an 'old-timer' around here, but I'll introduce myself as well. I'm Daniel Hanks, I do systems and database admin stuff for United Online here in Orem. I enjoy thinking about how new web technologies can be used to further genealogical research. I'm very interested in the church's work to digitize and index its microfilm, and the family history software/system the church is developing. I'm hoping for web-service APIs built around this system such that any number of apps could be built (in any language that can speak XML), much as what can be done with the Google and Amazon API's. I see the web moving towards something of a building-block model, where you have large data-repositories (such as Google, Amazon, Ebay, the church, etc) exposed via open APIs, such that you would be able to tie these services together in useful interesting ways.

As an example, consider the church's digitization efforts for its microfilm. Imagine every image generated by this digitization had a unique id, and could be displayed/retrieved by a certain web service call, or simply by a unique url. Web service calls could also then be available which would provide metadata about this image, which document did it come from, when was it created, what geographical areas did it come from, what surnames are mentioned in the image, etc.

With that interface exposed I could tie it up with, say, google maps, so that I could browse a map and show pinpoints of any microfilm images that originated in a certain area.

What if family tree navigation (think Ancestral File) were opened up via API? I could tie it up with Google maps to show migration routes of my ancestors with each suceeding generation. I imagine somewhere there's a web service that offers timelines of historical events. I could tie this family tree navigation with that and get a nice timeline of events in my ancestors lives contrasted with world events.

Let's say I go on a crusade to snap photos of all the tombstones of my ancestors that I can find. I store these images on my server, and write an app that allows a visitors to browse my family trees that I've submitted to the church, and with each individual able to display the mages I've taken of their tombstone.

These ideas are only the tip of the iceberg, so to speak, of what could be possible with open APIs exposing this data. I'm sure there are hundreds and thousands of tools that could be created to enhance genealogical research, if the data were exposed via some form of API. In this way, the church could develop their own basic interface around the service, and not have to spend development time implementing every last little obsucre feature in a desktop application. Let those who really want it write an app or extension to provide that feature.

At any rate, that's what I'm interested in. :-)

-- Dan