Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> > Um... not quite.  You are talking about bootable CDROMs with a
> > configuration disk; I am talking about booting from floppy disk and
> > using the CDROM as a data disk.  Your ideas are much more
> > revolutionary than mine.
>
> Actually, I want both to work.  My CD-ROM currently uses a floppy image to
> boot.  If your system doesn't support booting from a CD, you just make a
> floppy image and boot off that.  The trick is to be able to modify your
> configuration without changing any of the boot files (syslinux.cfg or
> root.lrp), which may be hardcoded on the CD.

The Oxygen method of creating and using a config.lrp takes care of the
latter; in my opinion, modifying syslinux.cfg is much harder.

I would suspect you would basically need to use a DIFFERENT way of
passing parameters altogether - perhaps a configuration FILE instead.
What with the 255-char limit on the parameter line -- I've already
exceeded it more than once! -- it has occurred to me in the past to
write a completely new configuration file structure.  Then perhaps the
syslinux.cfg could be static, and contain only necessary Linux kernel
parameters (console= vga= ...et al).

I'm not sure what format would be best; Algol/Pascal comes to mind, as
do others.  I think my preference may lean toward some Object Oriented
format:

network.eth0.dhcp
device(/dev/ram0).mount = /
device(/dev/ram1).mount = /tmp
device(/dev/ram2).mount = /var/log
disk(/).size = 24
disk(/tmp).size = 4
disk(/var/log).size = 2
packages.load.url = ftp://somewhere.com/pkgs/
packages.load.file = pkglist.cnf
packages.load.disk(/dev/fd0u1680)
packages.load.disk(/dev/fd1u1440).format = minix

I can for see a *LOT* of enhancements going in here.  Then you could
use this on the append= command line in syslinux.cfg:

LRPCONF=lrp.cfg

...and in fact, if you use a default, you don't need that either.