> >I agree with Scott's wording. I recognized my mistake as soon as I read
his
> >message. I think we should give Morgan a chance to write a draft. He may
> >come up with something we can all agree on.
>
> We need to be careful here. Silence does not equal assent, and many of the
> important participants in LEAF have been most notable for their silence on
> this thread. Some of them may not share the sentiments of those of us who
> have spoken up, but hesitate to start a confrontation here on this list.
> Understandably. Others may share the general sentiment but feel that it is
> not a proper topic of discussion here. Again, understandably. In other
> contexts, I've been in both of these positions, and they are uncomfortable
ones.

Sorry to stir up this thread and disappear...

Shortly after posting the suggestion to take a look at linuxrouter.org
(which I can't actually take credit for...Michael Smith sent an e-mail to
the webmaster account of my LRP site suggesting I take a look at
linuxrouter.org or I never would have noticed), I went off bicycling.  Two
flat tires, and about 4 1/2 hours later on an extremely humid day, I got
home, showered, and crashed, not getting a chance to read this thread until
this morning.

> Personally, I'm not too worried about trying to do something "effective".
> think Dave's efforts are trivial in any real political sense.

Agreed.

As for my response to Dave's day of mourning, for me there is now no
question about the future direction of my efforts with LEAF.  While I was
working towards making some disk images with LRP 2.9.8, and would have been
willing to consider using Butterfly as a base distribution if/when it ever
saw the light of day, these plans are now scrapped.

I am un-subscribing myself from the lists at linuxrouter.org, and will
direct users of my disk images to use the LEAF site/lists, which I will
remain subscribed to.

Future development will be based either on custom work or perhaps a small
distribution, like HardHat.  In the short term, I'd like to see Dachstein
actually get released, and I'll try to implement linuxrc script changes that
enable us to boot LRP like systems using the standard kernel (I've never
been too fond of Dave's initrd-archive patches anyway).

Also, while I'll consider signing a letter to Dave C. from the LEAF group,
I'm not sure this is appropriate or necessary.  While I disagree with the
statements posted on the linuxrouter.org site yesterday, I think the biggest
transgression Dave made was combining his political views with the
linuxrouter project.  If the linuxrouter site had a history of being the
"American terrorist firewall site: Keep the FBI out of your secret files",
his site content yesterday would have been appropriate.  Instead, it seems
like he is attempting to force his views onto a user-base that has little or
no advanced warning of what they're getting into.

If we see enough questions from the user-base, we may need a FAQ or article
stating something about how the LEAF group is not politically oriented, we
just make firewalls and other useful things out of small linux systems, and
intend for them to be used by anyone regardless of political or moral views.
(At least, I hope this is what we're doing).

Charles Steinkuehler