Martin & All,

I guess the question would be then - for new users - how will they know what
to search for (i.e hosts.deny hosts.allow) when they do not know that
is/could be the problem?   A bit of the hen & the egg problem that is :-)

Seeing the feedback - most of that is due to "special" versions that is
built for this or that. All good stuff. I guess I'm beeing the user advocate
here :-)

If a new users take the Floppy, CD or Stick version, add a package (say
SNMPD) and open the correct ports in Shorewall and try to get snmp to work
(f.ex from MRTG) - it will not work out of the box.  Unfortunately the error
messages can not be said to be over helpful (not blaming anyone here - just
stating a fact).  I ran into that problem this week when upgrading a Bering
FW to a Bering uClibc FW. Eric was kind enough to point out the obvious, and
it this case the problem was myself as I had changed the Bering standard
etc.lrp years ago to get around these issues.  That got me thinking (still
am). What if I where a new user, testing Leaf for the first time. How would
I react to this... So - I was trying to come up with a way to avoid that
situation.  As most people here replying had objections I tried to find a
solution that would work for as many as possible.

I'll start my updating this document:
http://leaf.sourceforge.net/doc/bk01ch08s07.html

I'll also roll my own etc.lrp version (just # out the lines in
hosts.allow/deny ) and will stick in on my leaf  page for folks to use.

Best regards
Jørn