Hi Erich,

> I assume the code within buildtool to access a certain file is pretty
> central. How difficult is it for this piece of code to use an
> environment variable specifying a TAG (defaulting to HEAD).
It is, but that doesn't solve the problem. The idea behind buildtool is
that it can use whatever sources (getting them from CVS is only one
option, FTP and HTTP are others). So, the version to fetch is stored in
a config file (buildtool.cfg, one for each package) - and currently, all
those contain "HEAD". It would probably be possible to add some hack to
ignore the HEAD from the config and use something else (something the
user provided) instead, but I haven't tried it.

> I agree it
> might not be the most elegant method, but might work.
It might (I really don't know if it would catch everything, or miss some
special cases nobody is thinking about right now). If somebody is
willing to give it a shot, [s]he is more than welcome to do so.

Martin