Hi Mike,

> Is buildtool able to use a checked out working copy to build from?
It is, if one adjusts the main config (changes the "cvs-sourceforge"
server setting in conf/sources.cfg to use the "file" type, which will
use the local filesystem rather than CVS). But wether that will work to
build an old release is something I don't know (I never needed to do
that - buildtool was originally created to make life easier for the
people working on Bering-uClibc - and those tend to work on HEAD, rather
than anything else). It could probably be made to be something else as
well, but that will require at least some testing, possibly some coding
(the Bering uClibc team has a couple of ideas we'll try as soon as
there's time - but until we've actually tried it, everything I say here
is pure speculation, because nobody has done that so far). Again, if
anybody wants to for himself, he's more than welcome to. My approach
would be:

* Check out src/bering-uclibc/buildtool for the release branch of 2.4.1
* check out src/bering-uclibc/apps for the release branch of 2.4.1
* modify cvs-sourceforge use the "file" target for server
  cvs-sourceforge and make it point to the cvs checkout of
  src/bering-uclibc/apps made above
* hope that we didn't forget to remove the cvs-sourceforge server
  specification in any of the buildtool.cfg files (and that none of the
  sources point to cvs-devel or some other site that doesn't use proper
  versioning - the latter is unlikely, but possible).

> Isn't
> building from checked out working copies best? I can't imagine pulling
> content from anonymous/developer cvs during the build process is
> painless.
It used to be (a while ago), but it hasn't been for quite a while.
That's why Arne added support for using CVSExt to buildtool, so one can
download the sources using one's developer account (and with that, it is
rather painless).

Martin