> i pulled a copy of modules.lrp off the CD, added my driver entries,
> and dropped it on the floppy.  it found & configured the network
> cards, but it hung at exactly the same place while booting.
>
> the box has no monitor/keyboard and i modifed syslinux.cfg to turn
> on the serial console.  other than that and the modules.lrp change
> described above, it is vanilla.

Ah-Ha!

> i've attached a copy of the console log.  any idea what runs
> after the network_misc script?

Not much...on a handy test system:

# ls /etc/rc2.d/ -1
S00sysklogd
S02netstd_init
S03netbase
S10ssh
S10watchdog
S15cron
S16rmnologin
S30dhcpd
S30netstd_misc
S55vpn-ssh
S60dnscache

So the only thing running after netstd_misc is stuff from packages you're
not loading (ssh and dnscache).

So what's going on?  Your system is *NOT* hung, it just looks that way.  The
console is running on your KB/Monitor, which you have disconnected.  The
default system doesn't have entries in /etc/inittab to bring up a console on
the serial port, so once your system is actually 'running', and out of the
init process (which uses the kernels definition of the console device), you
don't have a way to login.

You need to temporarily hook up a KB/Monitor to your system, edit
/etc/inittab to create a console on one (or more) of your serial ports and
verify everything works.  Then you can pull the KB/Monitor, and leave them
disconnected.  NOTE:  You will likely also have to edit a couple other
files...see my serial-HOWTO for details:
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/Documentation/LRP-Serial-HOWTO.txt

Charles Steinkuehler
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net