Don't forget to check/validate the HW. Make sure you swap out the cable.
I have often seen a cable with a bad pin on either the tx or rx sides -
usually oxidation on the connectors. Remember that the "link" light only
denotes connectivity one-way so you can have a light at one end and
still have a bad cable.

Offhand, I do not recall if the local link light means rx ok or tx ok.
(anyone???)

(You can also have nasty stuff like split pairs where the wires can test
ok on a pair scanner but won't transfer data at substantial rate or
distance - but seeing as you don't see any data one-way I presume this is
not the problem.)

 dbc.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, Patrick Nixon wrote:

> Hello All,
>       I briefly mentioned a few weeks ago a problem I'm having with a
> specific network card, however, no one had any solid advice and I wasn't
> sure what the exact problem was so I'm reposting with a bit more
> information I hope.
>
> NIC: 3Com 3C920 Integrated network Card (lists as a 3c905C-TX in some
> systems)
>
> System: Dell Optiplex GX150
>
> Problem: Despite a successful loading of the module 3c59x.o I am unable to
> receive any data over the network interface.  from netstat -i I can see
> that it's transmitting, just not receiving properly.
>
> I have RedHat 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.3-7 running on an identical system,
> with a 'different' 3c59x.o module and that system is happyhappy.
>
> Ideas/suggestions/whathaveyous?
>
> --Pat

David B. Cook, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
The only thing "Windows" this software came close to had an "X" in
front of it.  ... Open Source, we play by the rules.