Patrick -- there are two possibilities.

        1. There is a problem with the LEAF version of the 3c59x.o module.

        2. Your two systems aren't as "identical" as you think.

>From my own experience, I know that Dell Optiplex systems do run with stock
Linux 2.2.x versions of the 3c59x.o module, so it is unlikely that the LEAF
one is bad. If the two systems really are identical, you can move the
working system's hard disk to the LEAF host temporarily, boot/init it, and
verify that the hardware does work with the RH configuration. Similarly, the
other system will fail if booted with your LEAF floppy &/or CD.

If they do, then let us know that, as well as which version of LEAF is failing.

If they don't ... the usual hardware source of a send-but-doesn't-receive
problem (assuming it's not a bad cable or a hub problem) is an IRQ conflict.
What IRQ and I/O port is the problem NIC on? Have yu done the usual
mix-and-match testing to isolate the subsystem that is failing?