On Thursday 17 January 2002 22:57, Kenneth Hadley wrote:

> LOL, that is a solution alright...
> and something I thought of, but I dont want to fork Dachstein by
> offering a modified release and not being able to support it (since
> it pretty obvious how inactive I can be on this project due to a busy
> schedule)
>
> Hopefully when (if) Charles releases a Dachstein CD running a newer
> glibc I can release a newer Roaring Pengiun PPPoE package...

<rant>
I agree that is a possible solution and one that I'm sure many have
spent long hours contemplating. Without a doubt, someday, we will
likely be forced into using a format that won't work on a single floppy,
but that kind of defeats the purpose in general that many have
ideally stayed with in LEAF.  Coyote has been forced to abandoning
floppy development to stay up with the core changes, but I think we
can still move up to a 2.4 kernel and stay on a standalone floppy
anyway. I've seen one embedded linux floppy distro do it, but they
have had to create a custom floppy image off a cgi script on the web
to fit it on the disk (I will have to locate the url).

As discussed at quite some length many months ago, I believe the bloat
associated with the move up in glibc is due the built-in support for
64-bit  processors (again url is lacking at hand.... I found it a long
time ago off a devel group on google). It should be possible to strip
the 64-bit options off new glibc versions and reduce the size almost in
half, but someone would likely have to spend a huge amount of time
figuring out what ./configure options could strip this or simply
stripping the code manually (hehe, that would take the patience of a
saint).

When LEAF leaves the single floppy behind, the entire project target
changes and all the indications point to the change happening in the
next 6 months or so. It seems that the primary developers are trying to
keep the original target (floppy), and for that I commend them, it
would be easy to simply abandon this target and move on to other ones.
I for one still use the single floppy release as my primary home
firewall. I have installed the DCD cd release in several different
configurations including a harddrive, a flash drive, and a stand-alone
cdrom, but in all honesty the floppy version stills does anything I
need it to at home and it still intrigues me how well put together it
is.

The one thing I have found in setting up servers recently and creating
an entire LFS system from scratch with the most recent packages
available. The _entire_ core system (kernel, compiler, c libraries, base
utilities, filesystems, etc....) is making a huge jump at the same time.
Though the whole is functioning when put together now, there are still
many bugs and incompatibilities when added together. With this in mind,
nothing, except maybe gcc-2.9.5, is truly as stable as what we found
in the former base as stable. I feel that with out goal in mind, that
under any circumstance, we should wait until the core finally becomes
what many of us know as _stable_ before moving on. Though difficult,
I think we can still keep it on a floppy. A more feature based
cd/flash/hd release should be made to accomodate those wanting and
needing more, but the entire thought shifts when the floppy is
abandoned.

After all, what new is out that any of us truly need?

<rant />
--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!