On Friday 18 January 2002 11:20, Kenneth Hadley wrote:

> For which many of us are very grateful for your work Charles.

Absolutely, I was not trying to say anything to disagree with this.

> Except for a config I'm under the opinion that the floppy is dead. In
> computer technology its a stagnate dinosaur whose time for retirement
> has long been late, however its reliability and being available on
> almost every PC has made it live on much longer than it should.
> If the advancement of the various projects in LEAF means goodbye to
> the floppy, then so be it.

I can't say that the floppy is dead, yet! I agree with the rest, but I
am not convinced at this time. The cd is absolutely wonderful and
I look forward to working with it more.

On Friday 18 January 2002 10:29, Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> Well, I *have* effectevly abandoned the 1440 floppy format (for
> anything other than the config floppy for a CD-ROM install), but I
> really want to keep a workable firewall running on a 1680K floppy.
> Note the new Dachstein releases are actually *SMALLER* than the
> previous EigerStein releases, while supporting more features!

So you're saying that Dachstein floppy is the last of its kind in your
development? I find that saddening, but I do understand!

There is a single floppy 2.4.x/iptables firewall out there that I
haven't played with yet. This tells me that it is possible even if
considered abandoned here.

        http://www.BBIagent.Net/en/index.html

Maybe it's just me, but I (personally) haven't abandoned the floppy,
yet! I guess maybe it's something I could pick up if I find it
necessary. What concerns me is the Project goal listed on the LEAF
index page.... maybe it should be changed:

Project Goals:

 Create an inclusive environment for current developers of the Linux
Router Project to release their modifications to the public. Support
continued development of Linux Router Project derived LEAF images and
packages. Create a new LEAF version based on an embedded Linux
distribution with 2.4 kernel support, while retaining the option to
install the target environment on a floppy attached to the target.

--

~Lynn Avants
aka Guitarlynn

guitarlynn at users.sourceforge.net
http://leaf.sourceforge.net

If linux isn't the answer, you've probably got the wrong question!