On Thursday 24 January 2002 05:03, Jack Coates wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Erich Titl wrote:
> > Hi Jon
> >
> > great someone took the time, here just my 2c

Thanks.

here's mine:

> > Q) But what if I am roaming and want access from an unknown IP

Haven't a clue ;)

> > Q) But i don't know my address on the road.

Well neither do I... but this next bit from Jack looks like a way to go. But
if he's out of his depth, I'm not even in the same pond... :P

> dyndns would be a good link here. I've also heard of people setting up
> scripts to listen for a predetermined sequence of packets at a
> predetermined port, then open the rule to the IP that the packets come
> from. This could be as simple as "telnet my.router.home 9999" or
> something really complex requiring a script and a packet crafter. The
> router end is out of my depth, but this would be an interesting project
> to research.

Indeed.

> > For clarity you might add something to /etc/services
> > wwweblet 8081/tcp    # the leaf/lrp weblet port

This is good. I'll add it straight away.

> > and then
> > hope this does not sount too sneaky
> >
> > We could even set up the port in /etc/inetd.conf from the information in
> > /etc/sh-httpd.conf. It takes only a little configuration script (which
> > must exist anyway in the distribution) and then we'd have to maintain
> > only one location.

This sounds really smooth, but again, it's over my head... :(

I think what I'll do is put in the stuff i understand, and then someone
should update the howto if/when these additions (dyndns & configure-script)
get investigated...

I put the draft at: http://bund.dk/~jon/weblethowto-pub.html so you guys can
get a preview. (Also it was a good opportunity to make some more html and
myself a homepage -my first...) I'll update it later today with the above...

Jon