--On Friday, November 01, 2002 10:27:51 PM -0400 Jeff Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

My problems begin with the fact that shorewall does show a REJECT policy
for the onl network with the all2all chain even though it appears to
establish one - I cannot ftp or ssh from ofl to onl or access the net
from ofl.
The grammer and logic in the above paragraph defy words. I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.

However, I can ping freely between the networks and most disturbing is my
ability to ping internal clients on both internal networks from the
EXTERNAL network - even masq'd clients.  I know the norfc1918 option on
zone net will stop this but shouldn't the overall policy of net2all
prevent this?
Pinging and "overall policy" are two different things in Shorewall. Most users (probably irrationally) expect to be able to ping even when they want to prevent establishment of any other type of connection -- they see 'ping' as the magic bullet that proves connectivity.

In order to drive down the number of posts that say

<whine>
I can't ping!!!!
</whine>

I implemented a shorewall.conf variable called FORWARDPING. If set to Yes, this variable causes icmp echo requests to be accepted in the FORWARD chain prior to the application of POLICY. FORWARDPING=Yes is the default value -- if you don't like it, you can of course set it to "No".

-Tom
--
Tom Eastep \ Shorewall - iptables made easy
AIM: tmeastep \ http://www.shorewall.net