On Thursday 02 January 2003 09:30 pm, you wrote:

> I have never seen the lag in Win2K on any other network but mine.
> See below for data.

I can tell you why......  ;-)

>         Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
>         Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

> C:\>nslookup
> *** Can't find server name for address 192.168.1.254: Non-existent domain
> *** Default servers are not available
> Default Server:  UnKnown
> Address:  192.168.1.254

The Win2K box is trying to find the domain-name from your DNS server since
you have NOT entered one manually (like most of us do). Win2K is attempting
to figure out what your domain-name by DNS records on the internet and
broadcast, forcing you to wait until it fails before resolving any DNS
information requested by the user (the lag). If you used DHCP to receive an
ip address (per default setup), this information would be received via the
DHCP lease.

You will have this problem EVERY reboot until you either use DHCP on the
Win2k client or enter a domain-name (anything basically) in the IP setup on
the Win2k machine.

I hope this helps,
~Lynn Avants