Steve,

On Fri, 03 Jan 2003 09:29:58 CST Steve Cowles wrote:

bf> Interesting.  All my dnscache replies are listed as
bf> non-authoritative.  E.g:
bf>
bf>   C:\>nslookup www.yahoo.net
      [..]
bf>   Non-authoritative answer:
bf> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
bf>   Name:    yahoo.com
bf>   Addresses:  66.218.71.198, 64.58.79.230
bf>   Aliases:  www.yahoo.net

> All queries to your DNS server should be non-authoritative (meaning cached)
> except for the ones that you have configured your DNS server to be the
> "Start of Authority" (SOA). IN which case, you would have a registered
> domain.

Agreed.  My point was that Kory claims to be querying dnscache
but is not getting the non-authoritative answers one would
expect from it.

> BTW: Based on the above output of nslookup, your dns server (192.168.70.1)
> is not properly configured for reverse loopup queries. i.e. in-addr.arpa
> zones

You are partially correct.  It is not configured to respond to
RFC 1918 reverse lookups.  Others work fine:

  brad@lab:~$ dig +short -x 216.239.57.101 @192.168.70.1
  www.google.com.

I run dnscache set to query the root name servers.  I could also
install tinydns to fix the 192.168.70.* reverse lookup issue but
I don't have a good reason to yet.

--Brad