Hm, your problem sounds unique, but check this registry hack out, and
see if it solves your problme

http://www.speedguide.net/Cable_modems/cable_reg_xp.shtml

Windows 2000/XP has built-in DNS (Domain Name System) caching, which
basically caches resolved hostnames for faster access and reduced DNS
lookups. This is generally a great feature, with the only downside that
failed DNS lookups get cached by default as well...  When a DNS lookup
fails (due to temporary DNS problems), Windows still caches the
unsuccessful DNS query, and in turn fails to connect to a host
regardless of the fact that the DNS server might be able to handle your
lookup seconds later.

There are a couple of different ways to tweak Windows 2k/XP not to cache
failed DNS lookups:

1. You can flush the DNS cache manually, by going to Command Prompt and
typing: ipconfig /flushdns
2. You can wait for the cached lookup to expire or reboot the system...

Or you can permanently solve this issue by tweaking a few Registry
entries. You can simply use the patch below to modify your Registry:

 winxp_dnscache.reg - patch Windows 2k/XP not to cache failed DNS
entries. To install, save to your HD and double-click the filename.
 winxp_dnscache_undo.inf - patch to reverse all changes made by
winxp_dnscache.reg. To install, save to your HD, then right-click on the
filename and chose "install" from the pull-down menu.

If you'd rather do the changes manually, and assuming you feel
comfortable editing the Windows Registry, here are the related Registry
entries (recommended values are highlighted in red):

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Dnscache\Parameter
s]

NegativeCacheTime=0  (DWORD, default value: 0x12C (300 seconds), range:
0x0-0xFFFFFFFF seconds)
a query remains in the DNS cache. When the time specified in the value
of this entry expires, the DNS client deletes the answer record from
cache.

NetFailureCacheTime=0 (DWORD, default value: 0x1E (30 seconds), range:
0x0-0xFFFFFFFF seconds)
queries when it suspects that the network is down. When the DNS client
does not receive responses to repeated queries sent to any network
adapter, the DNS client stops sending queries for the time specified in
the value of this entry. During that time, the DNS client returns a
timeout response to all queries. If the value of this entry is 0x0, this
optimizing feature is disabled. DNS continues to send queries to an
unresponsive network.

NegativeSOACacheTime=0 (DWORD. default value: 0x78 (120 secnds), range:
0x0-0xFFFFFFFF seconds)
a query for an SOA (Start of Authority) record remains in the Domain
Name System (DNS) cache. When the time specified in the value expires,
the DNS client deletes the answer record from the cache.

Note: As always when editing the Registry, a backup is a good idea, and
reboot might be required for changes to take effect.

Related Articles:
MS TechNet - DNS Caching, Network Prioritization and Security
TechTV - Kill DNS Errors for Faster Broadband
Microsoft - DNS Resolver Cache Service