Mike,
I tried both netmon and ethereal on the win2k box. I do not have tcpdump
on the leaf system. Neither showed anything at all while the delay was
ocurring and showed normal entries once the connections were resolved.
It seems to affect Netscape far more than IE. Perhaps this is M$ way of
shutting them out. I could upgrade from Netscape 4.78 to a newer version
but I like the multiple user profiles that 4.78 and earlier had which
were
removed in the 6.0 and beyond.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Kory Krofft