Hi Kory

Kory Krofft wrote the following at 18:09 01.01.2003:
Folks,

Thanks for all the input I received on this. While I orginally
believed that it was more of a Win2K issue than a LEAF one but
now I am not so sure. What I learned from the group was that Win2K
uses what might be termed a "Non Standard" format for a DNS query
which may cause a delay when Linux tries to resolve it. I was able to solve this issue (at least it seems it is fixed) by adding the
Road Runner DNS server IP as the secondary DNS server in the TCP
setup on Windows. Leaf may need to address the issue of the Win2k
DNS request format as more of the Win2k machines appear in our
corporate environments.
If M$ really would change or not accept standard DNS requests formats then we'd have ample bandwidth on the net because they could not get anywhere. I am afraid this is not happening.

It might be worth to get at the core of the problem but then you would have to provide detailed data of the failed request(s) as suggested before using ethereal or something similar. You can run this in the Win2K machine and see where it gets you. At least you should see a DNS request go to the LEAF box and then... who knows

Happy new year to everyone on the list (a bit late, a flu kept me off the keyboard)

Erich

THINK
Püntenstrasse 39
8143 Stallikon
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP Fingerprint: BC9A 25BC 3954 3BC8 C024 8D8A B7D4 FF9D 05B8 0A16