Jon

At 17:51 04.07.2004, you wrote:
Hi.

I have one of these:
http://www.sys-media.it/cv860a.html

- which I've succeeded in setting up as a dual WAN router.

It boots off a 64MB CF, and runs a self-compiled 2.4.20 kernel with Bering
as well as Julian Anastasov's 'dgd' patches applied.

Everything works nicely and it performs great, routing for some 80+ clients
:)

Now, I'd like to put the logs on the attached harddisk, so as to preserve
them in case of powerfailures etc...

The mobo has a VIA vt82c686b ide-controller, so consequently I have

CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=y in the kernel config

-which I would've thought should cover it. Obviously I was mistaken,

the menuconfig program does not enable the via82cxxxx just like that. It requires Generic PCI bus-master DMA support which you may or may not have set.
This is from the VIA docs....

(2) When running "make xconfig ", "make menuconfig " or "make config " to
configure the kernel, select ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL Support/IDE and then ATA
and ATAPI Block devices. Next select 'y' to enable Generic PCI bus-master
DMA support and VIA82CXXX chipset support. Moreover, if your system uses
VIA's C3 CPU, select [K6/K6-II/K6-III] and disable [Symmetric
multi-processing support] under [Processor type and features]. Finally, save
and exit the kernel configuration.

HTH
Erich