Michael D Schleif wrote:

| What is the status of Bering-CD?
|
| I have been away from this list for many months, and I have a need to
| use a CD-based version of LEAF for several clients.
|
| I have scoured the archives, and find my own query nearly one year ago
| is the most recent.  Plus, I find Charles' ISO here:
|
|     <http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/files/diskimages/Bering-CD/>
|
| My understanding is that this is based on Bering v1.2, which was last
| updated 11 May 2003.
|
| What am I missing?
|
| What do I miss going with a Bering v1.2 base, rather than the
| Bering-uClibc base that was updated earlier this year?
|
| My dozens of LEAFS are currently still running Dachstein-CD.  I need to
| get up and running quickly on the Bering based distributions.

If you're familiar with Dachstein-CD, customizing my Bering-CD ISO is
probably the easiest way to go.  You'll need to come up to speed on:

- - Shorewall

- - The new init scripts, which now use a leaf.cfg file to provide additional
run-time configuration when booting from a CD or other read-only device (no
more burning a new CD to change the size of your root ramdisk!).

When I transitioned to Bering-CD, the process was fairly straight-forward. I
had to re-create my firewall setup in shorewall, obviously, but was able to
port my configuration files (partial backups) from ssh, ipsec, snmp, and
other packages directly to the new Bering system, so the upgrade was easier
than you might think (although not a simple "CD Swap" like earlier
Dachstein-CD upgrades).

| If I need something from Bering-uClibc, how can I incorporate it into
| Bering-CD?

I think if you add the uClibc library files to Bering, you can run any of
the Bering-uClibc packages, but I haven't tried this so I'm not sure exactly
what's needed.

If everything you need is packaged for Bering-uClibc, I'd probably just
build a new ISO for uClibc.  All that's needed is to replace the packages
with their uClibc counterparts, and build a new boot floppy image for the
CD.  I can help with this if desired.  The main hassle of building a new CD
image is collecting all the packages...if you're willing to do most of that,
I'll commit to making a Bering-uClibc boot disk image.

- --
Charles Steinkuehler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------------------------------- SF email is sponsored by - The IT Product Guide Read honest & candid reviews on hundreds of IT Products from real users. Discover which products truly live up to the hype. Start reading now. http://ads.osdn.com/?ad_id=6595&alloc_id=14396&op=click ------------------------------------------------------------------------ leaf-user mailing list: leaf-user@lists.sourceforge.net https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/leaf-user SR FAQ: http://leaf-project.org/pub/doc/docmanager/docid_1891.html