>I half understand duplex (don't bother explaining it - I'll look it up for
myself) but I don't understand how duplex could be negotiated improperly?

I speak from experience!  I had EXACTLY the same problem, Internet was slow
through the Leaf box, directly connected PC bypassing the router, it was
fast.  But in testing (ie Leaf not connected to cable modem) it was fast.
It was an older box, like yours, with older cards, like yours, and it turned
out that duplex was negotiated incorrectly.  Once I solved that, it was
fine.

- Bob