Andrew Haninger wrote:
> I half understand duplex (don't bother explaining it - I'll look it up
> for myself) but I don't understand how duplex could be negotiated
> improperly?

Any number of things could cause that. My concern is, sometimes
Motorolas don't handle forced duplex settings well, and sometimes
half-duplex will make things problematic to begin with.

Example: I have an SB5120. I was testing my father's rather old Wireless
B Linksys router because he was getting constant network drops on his
DSL. I hooked it up, and it ran okay, but I saw some of the same drops.
Upgraded the firmware to the latest and greatest, and suddenly there's a
dropdown to configure it for 10 or 100, full or half, but no autodetect.
So, since my downstream is 30Mbit/sec, I set it to 100 Full... and it
started running like a slug. 100 Half didn't help any either.

So I hooked up my PC to the modem direct, and discovered that the SB5120
doesn't like forced duplex modes. 100 Full and Half ran like a slug, but
autodetect would configure for 100 full and it ran like a champ. So,
it's possible that you've got a similar problem. The difficulty in
determining that is that it could just be the firmware on my modem that
caused that, and every cable provider does their own firmware releases.

You can always try connecting the laptop and forcing 10 full and 10 half
to see if the performance is similar to what you're getting out of the
LEAF box. If you are, then the problem is that the modem doesn't like
the forced settings. If not, then it's probably something on either the
cards or the motherboard.

Out of curiosity, have you tried switching which card is connected
where? In other words, Eth0 internal and Eth1 external?

> For what it's worth, I've acquired a replacement box that has PCI
> slots in it and I'll set up my LEAF box with 3c905's (10/100) which
> should (hopefully) solve the problem.

Probably will. I myself had switched over to 3c905Cs when I finally got
rid of the 486 system.

George