Andrew Haninger wrote:
> On 2/26/07, George Metz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Any number of things could cause that. My concern is, sometimes
>> Motorolas don't handle forced duplex settings well, and sometimes
>> half-duplex will make things problematic to begin with.

> Okay, more of my confusion: Why would setting the duplex on the card
> with the 3Com software be any different from setting it with ethtool?
> Is setting it on the card "cleaner"?

Nope, just me not making myself very clear. :)

Motorola modems seem to, occasionally, have an issue with a connection
that can't autodetect on the other end. In the example I gave, if I let
my PC autodetect, it comes up at 100BaseTX full duplex, and everything
works great. If I force settings to 100BaseTX full duplex, and don't let
the modem autonegotiate with the PC, it runs like a slug in molasses,
traveling uphill.

> It has solved the problem, pretty much. Speeds are much, much better and:

<snip!>

> No errors!
> Thanks, everyone! (Sorry for being a pain in the ass.)

Excellent, and no worries, glad you've got good speeds going on. :)

George