Hi,

on 13.3.2008 14:51 Tom Hendrickx wrote:
>>> *all partitions checked correctly
>>> *no problems found what however, till LINUXRC: Installing - ...

>>> *and it ends with these errors
>>>   /linuxrc: source: line 277: can't open /var/lib/lrpkg/root.dev.own
>>>   Kernel panic: Attemted to kill init!

> In the kernel messages I recieve this:
>
> hda: attached ide-disk driver.
> hda: 508928 sectors (261 MB) w/0KiB Cache, CHS=994/16/32
> Partition check:
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hda: hda1 hda2
> hda: hda1 hda2
>
> So I fear this also won't be the problem..
> Also all other packages are being read after LINUXRC: Installing - ..
> So it must be some problem with reading the root I guess ..

This reminds me problem I had with an very old AMD K6-333 box with
CF-IDE card and running LEAF Bering-uClibc 2.x. At first it booted fine
but slowly it started to show similar symptoms you describe, but weren't
consistent from boot to boot as yours.

Anyway the solution was documented somewhere in LEAF documentation that
with CF cards one should not rely on Auto setting in BIOS for CHS, but
set it to fixed value representing best the formated volume size. Maybe
the issue here still holds with new boxes with cf cards.

Erkki