Hello List,

My previous pentium IV motherboard running BUC 5.1.7 was randomly crashing, I
had to use hard reset to start it again, and it would run fine, as long as
there was no intense traffic, I guess...
Since then I replaced it with another one running BUC 5.2.5, as one can
probably tell from my dhcpcd/dnsmasq adventure in my previous e-mails to the
list…

This made me wonder how the watchdog timer was working on BUC.  I think Erich
Titl mentioned in some previous mail that the software watchdog was writing to
/dev/watchdog every 10 seconds to prevent a system reboot/reset. This prevents
software lockups but does not cover hardware problems like the one I
experienced with my sick mobo. Obviously if the CPU is not running you’re
hanged :-) .

Has anybody ever worked on an external hardware watchdog reset timer that would
do such a hardware reset ?

Thank’s

jrb