Hi Jean-Roch

Am 21.09.2016 um 04:29 schrieb Jean-Roch Blais:
> Hello List,
>
> My previous pentium IV motherboard running BUC 5.1.7 was randomly crashing, I
> had to use hard reset to start it again, and it would run fine, as long as
> there was no intense traffic, I guess...
> Since then I replaced it with another one running BUC 5.2.5, as one can
> probably tell from my dhcpcd/dnsmasq adventure in my previous e-mails to the
> list…
>
> This made me wonder how the watchdog timer was working on BUC.  I think Erich
> Titl mentioned in some previous mail that the software watchdog was writing
> to /dev/watchdog every 10 seconds to prevent a system reboot/reset. This
> prevents software lockups but does not cover hardware problems like the one I
> experienced with my sick mobo. Obviously if the CPU is not running you’re
> hanged :-) .

There are two components to a watchdog, a daemon process (1) which talks
at regular intervals to a kernel driver (2).

In the case of the softdog driver, it will reboot the system unless
interrupted.

In the case of a hardware watchdog device the driver will reset the
timer in the watchdog to inhibit the reboot.

Softdog is exactly what it is called, a software watchdog, it cannot
react to hardware lock. whereas a hardware watchdog will just reboot the
system after a certain time unless reset.

> Has anybody ever worked on an external hardware watchdog reset timer that
> would do such a hardware reset ?

Not external but the WRAP box had a built-in hardware watchdog, which
could be set by a driver at system startup.

cheers

Erich