Hello Andrew, Erich !
> Le 21 sept. 2016 à 04:52, Andrew <ni...@seti.kr.ua> a écrit :
>
> Most of boards have some kind of watchdog on board (in MIO or in south
> bridge), or some of them. For ex., iTCO_wdt for Intel, it87_wdt for ITE
> MIO, and so on.
>
> But built-in watchdog behavior may differ depending board model (it may
> reboot board, or it may just poweroff board, like ITE watchdog on old
> Asus K8N).
>
> Also, Intel watchdog driver is loaded automatically, MIO watchdog
> drivers are loaded manually (from command line or from /etc/modules).
>
> You can try it - load driver, and then do 'killall -9 watchdog' (to kill
> watchdog process & simulate system hangup). If board will be rebooted -
> all is OK.

Yes it does that indeed, I killed the watchdog0 and 1 plus the watchdog
processes and my system rebooted, the drivers are already loaded in BUC ( lsmod
gives iTCO_wdt ), no need to load anything, but it’s good to know how it works.
But my question still stands, there is no hardware lockup watchdog timer, it
has to be an external contraption which would detect an absence of activity on
the motherboard and activate the hardware reset button… I’ve seen some wifi
switches that do this for routers
(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BU2ALGO/ for exemple).  It does not ship
to Canada though :-) !!!  I’ve started some preliminary tests to perform the
same basic thing using an Arduino on one of BUC’s USB port, and it looks
promising… if you are interested I could let you know how it goes !
bye !