Am 23.09.2016 um 00:38 schrieb Jean-Roch Blais:

...>
> Erich, I still would like to know, what we should do about the dnsmasq/dhcpcd
> apparent dichotomy… Is that problem important enough to justify going
> further, like contacting the author, or fixing it on our own ? Just your
> thoughts since it now works fine for me with #background, and if I’m the only
> one then ……… :-) !   Well wrong thread for this question I presume, but I’m a
> newbie … :-) !

I doubt you will get anything contacting the dnsmasq group, as the
product appears to work as designed. Handling interactions between
daemon processes are IMHO the responsability or the system builder.

Years back I used to run an early version of LEAF on an old Laptop using
PCMCIA cards. Those were notoriously slow on connecting to my uplink
provider, so I had to introduce a delay to make sure the network was up
before the firewall software kicked in. This never made it to the distro
though.

As I said previously a daemon process _should_ watch its dependencies,
often they do not and I don't know if dnsmasq does. The drawback of the
bazaar model often is the lack of precise specs, so we cannot easily
know if a product was built to specs (if there are any).

If it is sufficiently important to you, there are a few options

- contact the uplink developers, in this case possibly dnsmasq, to find
out what the behaviour is suposed to be. If it is not defined in this
case then you could hack the code yourself to implement the behaviour
you would like.

- we could enable the inotifyd in busybox to use it to watch for
filesystem changes and use that to control relevant processes.

I don't think the problem is restricted to dhcpcd/dnsmasq, it just
showed up there. It shows that not every conceivable configuration
option is safe in a sufficiently complex system and it also shows a few
weaknesses in the way systems start and maintain some system relevant
daemon processes.

cheers

Erich