Another thought came to mind on the y-axis.  Does it move smoothly without the
y-axis engaged?  The acme screw being out of place can cause friction if the
mount for the split nut is rubbing against it.  I'm just tossing out obscure
ideas at this point. :-).

What's the link to the split nut upgrade?  I think what you are seeing was the
updated carriage installation instruction for the z-axis, not an actual split
nut upgrade.  No benefit, simple a different location for using the new style
carriage on the old machines.

If I understand you, the acme screw is rubbing against the mount for the split
nut.  You can find all the adjustment room you need in the brackets that hold
the acme screw.  Adjust the screw with the carriage at both extremes (left and
right).  If that does not work, you might need to look at the location of the
mount for the split nut.  It might need to be shimmed or lowered.   The screw
should be in the center of the mount.  I'm assuming your screw is not bent.

I have worked on several of Legacy's machines where they did not work out of
the box due to wrong parts included, or things where not machined right or the
machines where not built right by the owner.  Sometimes you need to look at the
whole picture using your head to really figure out what the problem is.  I've
also known several members to live with problems they never new where a
problem.   That's where talking with others really helps.

I hope this helps some?