Looks great Joe!  Let us know when you finish it! J

Patrick

From: 'joe biunno' via Legacy Ornamental Mills
<legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, December 7, 2018 2:04 PM
To: Legacy Ornamental Mills <legacy-ornamental-mills@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: ornamental turning on a rose engine lathe video

well, spent some time on the computer... it's a bit crazy and complex out there
in regards to splined shafts and linear bearings... with all the 3D printers
and other equipment using linear motion, it's a problem(at least it is for
me!...LOL!) to sort through it all... but I did find something that is simple,
and most likely inexpensive... it is not a linear bearing, in that, it is not a
ball bearing... but for the speed that is being considered here, this setup
might do... with the added bonus of being the least expensive option
available(I am assuming!)… a splined shaft, with a bronze bearing that has a
mounting flange... the bronze bearing matches the splines on the shaft to
transfer the rotational load/power... I could see a "wave" pattern
wheel(perhaps made from aluminum, cut on a laser or water jet), approximately
1/4' thick, that easily bolts to the flange on the bronze bearing... perhaps
even a series of wheels bolted together, much like you see on a rose engine
lathe... but one at a time can work, as well, as a start... a chain sprocket
bolted to each end of the splined shaft(each end, so the rotational load is
evenly applied to the splined shaft, thus eliminating any rotational twisting
or flexing, in the shaft or the Legacy lead screw)… matching chain sprockets on
each end of the Legacy lead screw... necessary bracketry to hold this new,
splined shaft above and away from the legacy lead screw, and allowing the
proper clearance needed for the pattern wheels... necessary chain to link the
sprockets together, with tensioners so there is hopefully little to no
backlash... so, we now have rotational power, transferred to a "carriage" of
wheels that would be locked into the Legacy router carriage, and thus moving
left and right as the Legacy carriage moves left and right... NOW THAT WASN'T
SO DIFFICULT, NOW WAS IT!... LOL!... I see the McMaster-Carr company declaring
a profit should this mod ever be completed!(bearings, shaft collars to hold the
bearings, brackets, etc., etc.)… well, that's it for now... hopefully anyone
who has an interest in the project will chime in and offer any comments or
suggestions, before I spend what little is left of my kids inheritance!, on yet
another Legacy mod... hope I have some red spray paint left over!