Hello Everyone.When trying to make more OT looking cuts with the Legacy, we
have a few problems, as a matter of fact the Legacy's strongest point is also
its weakest ONE, "the lead screw". Most OT machines do not use one.(but having
said that,)I have had some good results with the Legacy and making OT type of
cuts,doing some things somewhat differently then the normal router bits, type
of cuts (things like slot cutters, side cutting,roughing end mills, diamond
hole saws .. ) but at this time, I feel the biggest problem that I've been
running into is the lack of a worm gear for the Legacy lead screw.
The 5/8"-4 is a very hard pitch to make a worm gear for. (I've tried, with only
poor results so far.)
What I've been thinking of is something like a pendulum Z axis, where the
cutter is on the center, and the Rosette is off of the side, hooked up to a
worm gear &,the lead screw. (sorta like a backwards and upside down Rose lathe
on top of the Legacy.) ;-)
The pumping up and down action idea came form another time.and project that I
tried, I still think it just might works for short / small spindles and
face-plate work, This idea was to put a rosette on the head-stock after the
head-stock and before the spindle.the single rosette will make a up and down
movement of the cutter. This idea did not pan out for me. I was not able to
control the weight of the movement.  But I did have some good results with a
spring loaded spindle, and a rosette pushing on the spring to make a pumping
type of cut. This was a screwy idea but it did work (somewhat.) the spindle was
supported by a spring at both ends, the rosette was hooked to the indexing
gear, When the rosette hit the spindle it pushed everything down, and then it
returned back up, making a weird up and down cut, that was not uniformed from
end to end. (I've not done a lot with this attachment.as a matter of fact, I
scraped the idea.)
My profile follower and the "Wave attachment," have worked out well for me in
the past, (at least I've had some success with these to attachments, although
somewhat limited.)The concept is to move/ control the work piece rotation
instead of the cutter's movement,simple pattern's, can be used over and over to
make, more complex types of cuts. The biggest problem here is... trying to not
make the spindle look to busy!
Basically what I'm saying here is, I've been trying for a while, I can show a
1000 ways how not to do it. and only a few ways that have worked for me. But
I'm not going give up yet. I'm having to much fun trying.Have a good night.
C.A.G.

    On Thursday, December 6, 2018, 6:15:56 PM EST, Tim Krause