-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Wendy
Howard
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 1:59 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Transfer files between computers.

Hi Laura,

This is my understanding of the situation...

No data will be lost, you just won't be able to access the Deluxe
features (and therefore the data stored in those areas) while using the
Standard edition.  When you take it back to the computer that has
Deluxe, it will all be accessible again.

The two editions are the same program, and therefore the same database
structure.  With the Standard (free) edition, some data fields are
locked away, hidden from view.  With Deluxe, those fields are unlocked
and you can access them.

Hope this helps.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
Kaiwaka, Northland, New Zealand
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~wendyh65/

lgvelez said the following on 27/12/2006 7:58 a.m.:
> What happens to a data file created in Legacy 6 Deluxe, and then pulled
into
> Legacy 6 Standard and work done and then backed up ... what happens to the
> items that were in Deluxe mode when they travel to Standard mode and then
> moved back into Deluxe mode? Does any data get lost?
>
> I use a Seagate 5 gig mini hard drive for my Legacy data. I think it's a
> great idea to store an uninstalled version of the software on the drive,
> also.
>
> Laura Grant Velez

Well,
> her computer had version 4 of Legacy and a VERY slow dial-up internet
> connection
> (19 kbs at best) so I could not download the new version of Legacy. That
> means I did not get any work put on the flash drive and had to do hard
> copies of everything and put it on when we got home last week. That is
when
> I got smart and downloaded the program to my flash drive and installed it.
> Now I don't have to worry if anyone's computer has the program or not - it
> is all on the flash drive.
>     BTW, Some computers have the old USB ports (1.0 or 1.1). The newer
flash
> drives are USB 2 but they WILL work on the others - they just will be
> slower.  I would not get any flash drive smaller than a 1G and that should
> last you through 15,000 +/- people and a lot of photos.
>     Now that the flash drive is out of the way - you can also buy an
> external drive that connects by USB. I have one that is 40G and cost about
> $150 in 2005 (they are much cheaper now). The drives are about the size of
> CD holder. You could always use this as the drive for ALL of your legacy
> program, data, photos etc. and be able to take it anywhere with you. The
> only drawback to this system is that you have a power cable and USB cable
> keep track of.
>     I use this drive (external) to back up ALL my data, photos, music,
> recipes, etc, etc.; I backup new data to this drive at least every two
> weeks. My husband has his own computer (we are
> networked) and I also have his data backed up on this external drive.
>     No matter which option you choose be sure that you have a backup on a
> drive other than your "C" drive (besides the zip) because one day you will
> loose a drive and usually it is the drive used for all your programs.
>     Good luck with whatever you decide,
> Myrna Jorgensen
> in sunny, windy, cool, Mexico

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call
1-800-753-3453. ***

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***