I was referring to the U.S. Census. You're certainly right about boarding schools & probably all those people in the census took their meals where they lived, in which case the term "boarder" is not a problem.

--

Pat

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jenny M Benson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@LegacyFamilyTree.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 8:51 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Suggestions wanted please: How to enter "boarder"

Pat Hickin wrote
I think it's interesting that the census refers to people as "boarders" instead of "roomers." I'm sure they really mean people who live/sleep there -- not people who live elsewhere and eat there!

Are you talking about English Censuses or others?

In England, the Censuses differ between Lodgers and Boarders. Boarders are people (usually non-family members) who live at the same address and are provided with meals (board) by the householder. Lodgers have rooms (or a room) in the house but are responsible for providing their own meals.

Although one sometimes hears or reads the term "bed and board" it is somewhat overkill as "boarding" or "boarder" nearly always refers to someone getting both. Think "boarders" at a "boarding school.."
--
Jenny M Benson