Mike,

You are correct in thinking that I hardly ever use the Geo Location Database
mainly because having travelled extensively in the Britsih Isles I am familiar
with most of it. When I do use it, it is mainly for other countries. It is also
correct to say that I completely ignore the 4 field locations and use as many
as I think are needed - usually 5 or 6.

Your points about being able to include just about everything are correct but,
as you say, the output can look strange: it is partly for that reason that I
have not found a satisfactory solution. I suppose that if I was starting from
scratch I could do as you suggest with everything in the long form and that
which I wish to publish in the short. Unfortunately, because of the way my
website is set up with all its bells and whistles the thought having to rewrite
it fills me with dread! Hmmm - just had a thought - there may be a way round
that.

I'm not able to comment on TMG as it is not something I have tried.

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
*Over 650 Surnames from 11 Countries*
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:47:28 +0200
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] English Civil Parishes [was Burial Location Entry]
>
> ronald ferguson wrote:
>> Jenny,
>>
>> I have not found a really satisfactory way of including
>> Civil Parishes in the address until the 1901 census. They
>> only became properly established in 1894 when they became
>> something similar to the places which we recognise today.
>>
>> From the mid 1850's geographical areas which had previously
>> been outside a parish were incorporated into one and also
>> many other changes in the parishes took place such that, as
>> you indicate, it became a mess which was not sorted until post
>> 1894.
>>
>> I doubt if I am wholly consistent in the way I record them and
>> doubt if that is possible. If the name is clear and meaningful
>> then I will use it, at other times I omit it completely. I
>> suspect that the enumerators were not always clear as to what
>> to include either as I have frequently seen alterations in this
>> section!
>>
>> Sorry that I cannot be more specific and I guess that what I am
>> saying is that it is possibly a matter of personal judgement. Not
>> satisfactory, I agree, but there it is.
>>

> Ron,
> From past postings, I suspect that you don't make much use of the Geo
> Location database. If not, then how you format your locations is totally
> up to you. Forget the US-centric 4-part location and think 9-parts. I
> think you'll find that if you define the 9 parts according to your own
> scheme, that you'll be able to fit just about everything relating to a
> UK place into the 9 parts.
>
> It would, of course, look strange at first. But if you kept the short
> location for what appears on the screen, and were judicious in where you
> used the long form, then you might even be able to record registration
> districts and civil parishes.
>
> I think you might need separate versions of the long locations for the
> same physical place being used in different contexts. For example, the
> registration district for certificate references, the ecclesiastical
> parish for baptism details, the civil or parliamentary district for
> census entries.
>
> Doesn't TMG work in this kind of way?
>
> --
> Regards,
> Mike Fry
> Johannesburg.

100’s of Music vouchers to be won with MSN Music
https://www.musicmashup.co.uk

Give Legacy as a Gift for 25% Off. Visit http://tinyurl.com/2b49et