Jan,

see below for responses

New Blog: Free Contacts Database for use with Open Office
http://www.fergys.co.uk
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Testing My Backup - Problem
> Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 13:07:46 -0400
>
> Ron and Cathy,
>
> Thank you for trying to help me with this. I've read through what you both
> have written and I think I'm getting some things figured out as far as that
> the .zip is the back up and the .fdb is the family file. If I go to
> C:\Legacy\Data there are 5 icons and 2 have the Legacy logo -Sample and
> Stitz family.fdb and then the other 3 end in .RGD, .FG and .TC

That's fine

If I go to
> C:\Legacy\Stitz family.zip that contains 3 files, the family file (.fdb) and
> 2 files that end in .TC and .FG (When I go to C:\Legacy to locate this
> folder, this folder has a zipper on it.) Is this a problem that I have
> these 2 locations for Legacy files?

If you mean that the zip file contains the 3 files then that is correct -
except that I would have expected to see a number of .CB files as well. I would
move the Stitz family.zip file to C:\Legacy\Data which is the default for it.

> Now that I've heard from both of you, I returned to File>Restore and the
> Look in: box contains the Temporary Directory which Ron said not to use but
> to teach it where to go. So I opened the drop down beside this and I chose
> Local Disk C:, then double clicked on Legacy, then double clicked on Data.
> Once Data is in the Look in: the big box is empty.

That is because there is no zip file there

So, then I tried
> File>Restore again and to the right of the Look in: box drop down, I double
> clicked on C: then Legacy but then double clicked on Stitz family.zip. Then
> the big box contains an icon with the Legacy logo and Stitz family.fdb but
> the Save in: box changed automatically and says "Temporary Directory 3 for
> Stitz family.zip" again.

At this stage it is best not to use the double-click on the zip file to restore
the family file, but having transferred the Stitz family.zip to C:\Legacy\Data
use File>Restore Family File  and direct it to look there for the file (even if
it does find it in the temp location). Again, I emphasise that it is best to
give it a new name in case it's an older back-up. This is possible since it is
not clear how long it is since you started to back-up to the temp file.

> I also noticed that when I exit from using Legacy, that the when it asks if
> I would like to "back up:" it gives C:\Dcoumen 1\...Temporary Directory 3
> for Stitz family.zip...

That is because it still thinks the Temp Dir is the place for it. It may be
that your latest back-up is there (see above) in which case move it to
C:\Legacy\Data, but first check that the one you have already moved is ancient!

> [...]
> it again brings up the temporary file then use the box at the top of the
> screen to change to C:\Legacy\Data and you should then see your proper
> back-up, open this one and Legacy should always go there again in the
> future.
>

> Ron Ferguson

> New Blog: Free Contacts Database for use with Open Office
> http://www.fergys.co.uk
> View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
> http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
> For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:
> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
>

>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>> Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Testing My Backup - Problem
>> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 10:17:28 -0400
>>
>> Hi Cathy,
>>
>> Before I go any further, I thought I'd better check to make sure I do the
>> right thing in the first paragraph. Do you mean that I should be opening
>> the Legacy that is on my desktop and going to File>Restore rather than
>> trying to use the Legacy back up that is on my flash drive? I was using
>> the
>> Legacy I had just backed up to my flash drive and going to File>Restore.
>> Now, I've just tried going to my Legacy program that is on the desk top
>> and
>> I went to File>Restore and I clicked to close my family files and then a
>> window came up "Select a Backed up Family File to Restore". In "Look in:"
>> it has Temporary Directory 3 for Stitz_2008-ap4.zip and nothing in the big
>> box or in the file name box. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
>>
>> I have now unticked "Hide extensions for known file types" that you
>> mentioned. I have XP and haven't made any Temporary Directories.
>>
>> Jan
>>

>>> Hi Jan,
>>>
>>> See below

>>> Don't click on the file - open Legacy and go to File> Restore Family File
>>> and navigate to the right folder to find your backup.

>>> The .zip is missing because Windows hides known file type extensions
>>> unless you tell it not to. In My Computer see the Tools menu - Folder
>>> Options - View tab and untick Hide extensions for known file types. Now
>>> that's in Windows XP but I guess the same options are in Vista even if in
>>> a slightly different place. I think you are using Vista as you keep
>>> talking about Temporary Directories 2 etc which I haven't encountered -
>>> or
>>> have you made these folders?

>>> Save and OK do the same thing. When you are testing a backup you need to
>>> provide a different name - I just add the same date that I've added to
>>> the
>>> backup name. You don't want to overwrite or you'll have nothing to
>>> compare
>>> with AND, if it doesn't work for some reason, then you've wiped out your
>>> real Family File.

>>> If you are using Vista, did you follow the instructions for installing

Win 100’s of Virgin Experience days with BigSnapSearch.com
http://www.bigsnapsearch.com