From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Testing My Backup - Problem
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2008 13:07:46 -0400

Ron and Cathy,

Thank you for trying to help me with this. I've read through what you both
have written and I think I'm getting some things figured out as far as that
the .zip is the back up and the .fdb is the family file. If I go to
C:\Legacy\Data there are 5 icons and 2 have the Legacy logo -Sample and
Stitz family.fdb and then the other 3 end in .RGD, .FG and .TC

That's fine

If I go to
C:\Legacy\Stitz family.zip that contains 3 files, the family file (.fdb) and
2 files that end in .TC and .FG (When I go to C:\Legacy to locate this
folder, this folder has a zipper on it.) Is this a problem that I have
these 2 locations for Legacy files?

If you mean that the zip file contains the 3 files then that is correct - except that I would have expected to see a number of .CB files as well. I would move the Stitz family.zip file to C:\Legacy\Data which is the default for it.

Now that I've heard from both of you, I returned to File>Restore and the
Look in: box contains the Temporary Directory which Ron said not to use but
to teach it where to go. So I opened the drop down beside this and I chose
Local Disk C:, then double clicked on Legacy, then double clicked on Data.
Once Data is in the Look in: the big box is empty.

That is because there is no zip file there

So, then I tried
File>Restore again and to the right of the Look in: box drop down, I double clicked on C: then Legacy but then double clicked on Stitz family.zip. Then
the big box contains an icon with the Legacy logo and Stitz family.fdb but
the Save in: box changed automatically and says "Temporary Directory 3 for
Stitz family.zip" again.

At this stage it is best not to use the double-click on the zip file to restore the family file, but having transferred the Stitz family.zip to C:\Legacy\Data use File>Restore Family File and direct it to look there for the file (even if it does find it in the temp location). Again, I emphasise that it is best to give it a new name in case it's an older back-up. This is possible since it is not clear how long it is since you started to back-up to the temp file.

I also noticed that when I exit from using Legacy, that the when it asks if
I would like to "back up:" it gives C:\Dcoumen 1\...Temporary Directory 3
for Stitz family.zip...

That is because it still thinks the Temp Dir is the place for it. It may be that your latest back-up is there (see above) in which case move it to C:\Legacy\Data, but first check that the one you have already moved is ancient!

Jan

Jan,

We seem to have a wood and trees problem here, so lets try from square one.
You will not have made any temporary files, most programs make them for
temporary storage whilst they are executing your instructions, so forget
about them and don't use them.

In my opinion it is best to restore only from the back-up on the machine
which you are using and not from your flash drive - the latter only being
there is a long-stop back-up ie. for emergency use only. If you ever need to
use the one on the flash drive then first copy it to C:\Legacy\Data and
restore from there (check first that you will not be replacing a later
version).

I seem to remember that you found your latest back-up in C:\Legacy\Data,
which is exactly where it should be and your problem is that Legacy has
forgotten this, so you need to teach it. Go to File>Restore Family File. If
it again brings up the temporary file then use the box at the top of the
screen to change to C:\Legacy\Data and you should then see your proper
back-up, open this one and Legacy should always go there again in the
future.

Ron Ferguson