Elizabeth Richardson wrote
The easiest way for the database to be certain this is a unique record is to assign it a number. Why Legacy tells you these numbers is a mystery to me.

Because many users like to have a unique identifier for each record and Legacy in their wisdom decided to give us not only the opportunity to access the RINs but also to use UserIDs.

(FTM, at least in the versions with which I am acquainted, makes it a PITA to discover their equivalent of RINs, which is one of the many reasons why I consider Legacy to be the superior product.)
--
Jenny M Benson