Cary,
I believe you have a duplicate person entered in your file. Only you can figure
out who is the culprit(s), but this will help you find them.
Display RINs on your names.
You described hovering over the the mother/father icon. Click that icon to get
the name & RIN of the correct parents. I bet if you then look at the Family
View that is giving you grief, you'll find someone has the same name &
different RIN, indicating a duplicate.
You'll want to
unlink and merge or
unlink and delete
your call based on information you entered for the culprit(s). Just be sure to
unlink first. I have to jot the RINs down too to keep everyone straight. I had
one family so convoluted that I printed (created a file) individual and family
reports, then unlinked, deleted, & reentered information.
One way to avoid this is to always check to see if the person you are entering
in your database is already there. When entering any new person, I suggest you
use the option "Link to an existing" person, daughter, son whatever.
That option takes you to the Name List to see if that person is already in your
database. (Note the Name List has 6 tabs on the right hand side with probably
enough info to make a decision.) If so, Link selecting from the name list. If
not, close the name list and add "New" person, daughter, son whatever.
I hope this will do the trick.
Legacy has a check for duplicates. Under Tools and Merge. Please read about
this before using this tool. Thoroughly look through your database so you have
confidence that Legacy is properly representing your research. Others may have
more & better suggestions for a thorough search to build your confidence.

Regards, Jane Tripp
To show RINs
Select Options from the top toolbar
Select Customize
Select the View tab
Select to display RINs on both Name List and Family View

I you decide to print reports, I suggest you add RINs and MRINs to the reports.
Report Options
Include tab
Look in the lower left corner for RIN & MRIN